Outdoor recreation doesn’t stop when winter arrives, and the City of Kamloops invites residents to explore their community and try new experiences to stay healthy and active.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the City has remained committed to providing people with safe opportunities for recreation. To help people stay active this winter season, the City is highlighting outdoor recreation activities that are available to residents.
Residents are encouraged to stay active this winter by taking advantage of the City’s spectacular outdoor recreation opportunities as well as some new additions:
- a multitude of hiking, biking, and snow loops for walking and snowshoeing for all skill levels at the City’s four nature parks: Dallas-Barnhartvale, Kenna Cartwright, Valleyview, and Peterson Creek (parks and trails users are reminded to stay on marked trails to protect the sensitive grasslands and ecosystems that our parks reside in)
- two disc-golf courses located at Rosehill Park and McArthur Island Park
- the McArthur Island Park mini golf course, which will remain open as long as it remains clear of snow
- paved recreational walking paths with snow maintenance along the Rivers Trail, West Highlands Park, Xget'tem' Trail, and McArthur Island Park
- eight off-leash dog parks
- public skating at all arenas—pre-registration is required at Kamloops.ca/Skate
- activities in the 2021 Winter Activity Guide found in the December 2 Kamloops This Week edition or online at Kamloops.ca/ActivityGuide
Need some extra motivation to get active outdoors? The City, in partnership with PLAYKamloops, is challenging you to participate in the How to Play in Winter Challenge. December 1–31, residents can challenge themselves to work through the How to Play Calendar, which provides inspiration for how to enjoy winter in our own backyard playground and win prizes while doing it. Learn more at PlayKamloops.com.
City parks and playgrounds will remain open throughout the winter. Washroom facilities will remain open during daylight hours at the following locations:
- McArthur Island Park (near the skate park)
- Westsyde Centennial Park
- Albert McGowan Park
- West Highlands Park
- Juniper Park
- Riverside Park
- Victoria Street public washroom
Find your next recreational activity on Kamloops.ca:
- Parks and Trails: Kamloops.ca/ParksMaps
- Activity Guide: Kamloops.ca/ActivityGuide
- Swim Schedules: Kamloops.ca/Swim
- Skate Schedules: Kamloops.ca/Skate
Activities and programming may change as directed by the Provincial Health Authority. For up-to-date information, please visit Kamloops.ca.