529 Garage Anti-Bike Theft Application
529 Garage is a comprehensive bike registry and recovery system that deters bike theft, increases the likelihood that stolen bikes will be returned to its owners and provides an investigative tool for the police to identify stolen bikes.
Registrants create online profiles with photos of their bike and serial number on the 529 Garage application and receive a Shield ID to place on their bike frame. These tamper proof decals are issued at the North Shore Community Policing Office (915 7th Street) to Kamloops residents with proof of 529 Garage registration.
Volunteers are utilized to assist the RCMP with running bicycle registration and information events.
Help Police and the Biking Community Defend Against Bike Theft by:
- Registering your bike with 529 Garage bike registry for free—it only takes five minutes!
- Note your bike serial number, make, model, colour, and any other descriptors which would aid in bike recovery (add to 529 Garage registration).
- Take pictures of your bike and keep your purchase receipt in a safe place.
- Get a 529 Garage shield and place on your bike to deter thieves.
- Secure and lock your bike properly.
- Bike theft is a $500 million annual epidemic in North America—a bike is stolen every 30 seconds.
- Thousands of recovered bikes go to auction each year in BC because the police cannot identify the owners.
- Stolen bikes are often used to commit secondary crimes such as vehicle theft and break and enters.
- Most bikes parked outdoors are not secured properly.
- About 20% of bikes are stolen from indoor locations, often unlocked.
Disclaimer: 529 Garage is a third-party application and is not operated by the City of Kamloops. By using the application, the user is agreeing/consenting to the 529 Garage Terms of Service.