Please note that effective January 1, 2023, building permit applications for new residential buildings received on or after January 1, 2023, must comply with the EV charging infrastructure requirements as adopted by the City of Kamloops.
The intent of these requirements is to enable all new residential development to be equipped with electrical infrastructure that facilitates easy and cost-effective access to EV charging at home. There are distinct requirements for smaller buildings (Part 9) and larger buildings (Part 3), based on the height and footprint specifications referenced in the BC Building Code. Click here for more information.
A building permit is required in order to:
- erect a new building or structure, including retaining walls over 1.2 m in height; swimming pool; and hot tubs
- to demolish, relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building or structure
A siting permit is required for sheds 10 m² or less.
A building permit is not required for:
- fences, sidewalks, and planters
- retaining walls that are less than 1.2 m in height
- painting, decorating, and general maintenance
- minor repairs, using the same or similar materials, for maintenance that does not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Applicable fees are listed in Building Bylaw No. 11-80 (Appendix A).
Permit Application Forms
- Building Permit Application - Single-Family and Two-Family
- Building Permit Application - Multi-Family, Commercial, Industrial, Institutional
- Owner Authorization
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Demolition Sign-off Application
- Building Information Request Form
- Building Information Request Form - Online Form
- Lot Grading Plan Requirements and Template