August 18, 2021: This Notice applies to persons performing work considered high fire risk within 300m of grassland/forested area when at a high/extreme fire rating within the City of Kamloops. Employees, contractors, and home owners must take measures to reduce the risk of causing a wildfire, and to prevent fire spread.
To manage and reduce the fire risk caused by construction activities, please follow the required actions at all construction sites, listed in the Construction Fire Safety Notice.
Depending on the location, owner-builders may be required to submit a written fire safety plan prior to issuance of a building permit. If you start or spot a wildfire – in all cases immediately call 911, and if safe to do so, attempt to put the fire out. For more information, contact 250-828-3554.
As a result of COVID-19, the Development, Engineering, and Sustainability (DES) building located at 105 Seymour Street is open to the public by appointment only.
To help streamline the application process, please call ahead to discuss your Building Permit applications and ensure your applications are complete before you submit. Building Permit applications can be deposited into the dropbox located at the main entrance of the DES building. Please note that all material dropped off will be quarantined for 24 hours prior to staff opening and processing it.
When permits are ready for issuance, the City will contact the applicant to schedule a time for them to come in to sign documents and pay fees. Please call 250-828-3554 for more information or to discuss an application.
Thank you for your cooperation.
A Building Permit is required in order to:
- erect a new building or structure, including retaining walls over 1.2 m in height; swimming pool; and hot tubs
- to demolish, relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building or structure
A siting permit is required for sheds 10 m² or less.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- fences, sidewalks, and planters
- retaining walls that are less than 1.2 m in height
- painting, decorating, and general maintenance
- minor repairs, using the same or similar materials, for maintenance that does not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Applicable fees are listed in Building Bylaw No. 11-80 (Appendix A).