Building permits applied for on or after January 1, 2022, must demonstrate compliance with the energy performance requirements of the BC Energy Step Code as adopted by the City of Kamloops for the building type as follows:
- Part 9 – Step 3: all new residential buildings regulated by Part 9 of the BC Building Code must comply with the requirements to meet Step 3 as defined in Subsection 9.36.6 of the BC Building Code
- Part 3 – Step 2: all new buildings regulated by Part 3 of the BC Building Code must comply with the requirements to meet Step 2 or the established Step depending on occupancy classification as defined in Subsection 10.2.3 of the BC Building Code
To comply, builders will need to use energy modelling software and on-site blower-door testing to demonstrate that both the design and constructed building meet the applicable Step Code requirements. See the Building Section’s BC Energy Step Code Requirements For Residential Buildings Technical Bulletin for more details on the City’s Energy Step Code requirements.
For more information and helpful resources on the BC Energy Step Code, visit EnergyStepCode.ca.
A Building Permit is required in order to:
- erect a new building or structure, including retaining walls over 1.2 m in height; swimming pool; and hot tubs
- to demolish, relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building or structure
A siting permit is required for sheds 10 m² or less.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- fences, sidewalks, and planters
- retaining walls that are less than 1.2 m in height
- painting, decorating, and general maintenance
- minor repairs, using the same or similar materials, for maintenance that does not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Applicable fees are listed in Building Bylaw No. 11-80 (Appendix A).