The Pioneer Spirit Award is only presented in exceptional circumstances and for extraordinary accomplishments.
Recipients of this award are presented with a replica of the Overlanders Statue that is situated on the plaza at Kamloops City Hall. The statue was created by Terry Norlander and Garry Davies, and unveiled by Mayor Mel Rothenburger on July 1, 2003. It was commissioned by the City of Kamloops with the generous support of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Fulton & Company and Urban Systems Ltd.
The statue commemorates the arrival of the Overlanders in 1862 and depicts Catherine and Augustus Schubert and one of their seven children. It represents the pioneer spirit and the strength of character of those who built our community.
- 2018 - Dr. Alan Shaver for his commitment to developing the 'town and gown' concept in the City of Kamloops through his tenure at Thompson Rivers University - presented by Mayor Christian
- 2018 - Mrs. Laura Kalina in appreciation of her vision, dedication and tireless efforts to improve community health through better nutrition for all - presented by Mayor Christian
- 2014 - Mrs. Brenda Aynsley for her many years of leadership, bringing the community together through the United Way – presented by Mayor Milobar
- 2014 - Mr. Frank D’Amore for this many years of leadership ensuring our sporting history is remembered (Kamloops Sports Hall of Fame) – presented by Mayor Milobar
- 2012 - Mr. Randy Diehl for leading the City of Kamloops as Chief Administrative Officer during his tenure from 1989-2012 – presented by Mayor Milobar
- 2011 - Ms. Jo Berry for her outstanding leadership and dedication to create a healthy community (Boogie the Bridge) – presented by Mayor Milobar
- 2008 - Mr. Chris Rose for this leadership to the community in the field of education and the treatment of autism (The Chris Rose Therapy Centre for Autism) – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2008 - Mr. David Ross for this leadership and dedication to the community in the field of arts and culture (Western Canada Theatre Company) – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2008 - Dr. Roger Barnsley for his outstanding leadership and involvement with Thompson Rivers University and with transforming Kamloops into a university city – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2008 - The 419 Tactical Fighting Training Squadron – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2008 - Mr. Norm Daley for his contribution as Chair of the Canada Cup of Curling – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2007 - Kamloops Indian Band – presented by Mayor Lake
- 2006 - Mr. Henry Pejril for his contribution as Chair of the 2006 BC Summer Games - presented by Mayor Terry Lake
- 2005 - Posthumously to Mr. Ray Fuoco for his promotion of the city and especially the downtown core. Mr. Fuoco was known as “Mr. Downtown” – presented by Mayor Rothenburger
- 2004 - Mr. George Evans for his contribution to the North Thompson Wildfire Relief Fund – presented by Mayor Rothenburger