Share page

Frequently Asked Questions


Can culled or windblown fruit be taken to the yardwaste drop off sites?

Yes, windblown or culled fruit from trees such as apple, peach, apricot, pear, cherry, and plum is considered acceptable leaf and yard waste. Halloween pumpkins can also be taken to the yard waste sites.

Can I bring noxious weeds like knapweed to the yard waste sites?

No. Noxious weeds should be bagged and placed in your garbage container or taken to the landfill for proper disposal.

This is due to the possible spread of weed seeds that may occur during transport and handling, which may contaminate our yard waste sites.

Can I use 100% compost in my flower pots?

No, compost is a soil additive. Too much compost could be detrimental and may kill the plants.

Our Parks Department recommends compost to be mixed at a ratio of 3kg of compost to 7kg of soil. 

For top dressing of lawns, add 3 kg of compost per 1m2 of lawn or add 1/2 cm of compost to your lawn in the spring or fall, trying to spread the compost evenly. Don't smother the grass blades.

How is Cinnamon Ridge compost made?

Received yard waste is fed into a large grinder which chips the material into finer and smaller pieces.

The ground-up yard waste is then placed into large rows where natural bacteria start the breakdown process. Rows are turned by a mechanical turner (like a massive rototiller) about once a week to ensure uniform breakdown of materials and to provide oxygen to the bacteria in the windrow.

During turning, treated waste water effluent may be added to the compost rows if they seem too dry. This process continues for 3 to 12 months (depending on row composition and time of year) while the yard waste breaks down. Once the yard waste is deemed to have broken down enough, the material is placed through a large screener which removes larger debris and any plastics that may have been missed at the yard waste receiving end. Screened material is then ready for sale to the general public.

How long does it take to make compost?

On average it takes about 8 months for yard waste to become compost.

How much yard waste is used to make compost?

In 2016, 13,000 tonnes of yard and wood waste was diverted from the landfill and used in compost production.

I heard that Cinnamon Ridge compost is full of weed seeds. Is this true?

No, this is not true. Heat created by microorganisms during composting kills weed seeds and disease-causing organisms.

Temperatures of compost piles routinely reach 65°C (149°F) for consecutive days; high enough to kill weed seeds. To test this, a study was done a few years ago where cookie sheets filled with compost were placed in an office window and watered to see if anything would germinate. Nothing ever did. 

Compost is a great growing medium. If any weed seeds are blown onto your garden after you have added the compost, weeds are certainly bound to germinate. By their design, weed seeds flourish in disturbed soil, especially ones with nutrient rich compost added to it.

If I don't need a truck load of compost, can I get a smaller quantity?

Yes, you can bring smaller containers (garbage cans or Rubbermaid bins) and fill them yourselves with compost. Each container filled with compost costs $2.00.

Is pet waste or farm manure added to the Cinnamon Ridge compost?

No, pet waste or farm manure is not allowed to be dropped off at yard waste sites or added to our compost.

Although we can't guarantee that no animal manure makes it into the yard waste people bring in, the City randomly tests a few compost piles a year to ensure that Fecal Coliform and Ecoli counts are well below accepted levels.

Is the Cinnamon Ridge compost contaminated with pesticides, as there is no control on what type of yard waste comes in?

Compost made from yard waste will contain some pesticide residues but very likely at untraceable levels.

In general, the commercial composting process is quite good at breaking down the modern pesticides that are used on landscapes today. When Cinnamon Ridge first opened up, the City tested compost for pesticides and herbicides for three consecutive years and no pesticides or herbicides were ever found.

Since then, the Pesticide Use Control Bylaw No. 26-4 was introduced, further reducing the amount of pesticides used in the city.

Is the Cinnamon Ridge compost tested for heavy metals and pathogens?

The City routinely takes random compost samples for analysis each year to ensure acceptable levels of heavy metals. This process is dictated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (responsible for compost-producing facilities under the Fertilizers Act). The Organic Matter Recycling Regulation does not require testing for compost made strictly from 100% yard waste.

Is wastewater effluent used in the compost process?

Yes, wastewater effluent is used in the making of compost.

Wastewater effluent is pumped under the Thompson River to Cinnamon Ridge to be used for irrigation on farms in the area and to provide moisture for our compost. Water not pumped under the river for reuse is released directly into the river. Wastewater effluent is treated to the same level as its release point. So in this case, the wastewater is treated to the same water quality level as the Thompson River.

Is wastewater sludge added to the Cinnamon Ridge compost?

No, compost is made from 100% yard waste.

Up until a few years ago the City used to mix biosolids (wastewater sludge) with yard waste on half of the Cinnamon Ridge site. The biosolids compost met all strict health guidelines mandated by the Organic Matter Recycling Regulation and was certified as Class A Compost (compost that can be sold to the general public). 

Even with meeting the highest standards, the City chose not to make the biosolids compost available to the general public and was used internally by various City departments.

The City no longer uses biosolids at Cinnamon Ridge.

What is Cinnamon Ridge compost made from?

Cinnamon Ridge compost is made from 100% yard waste dropped off by residents at one of our three yard waste sites.

What is the Guaranteed Analysis of the compost produced at Cinnamon Ridge?

The Guaranteed Analysis is: 
Minimum Organic Matter (OM) = 35% 
Maximum Moisture Content = 35%

Where can I drop off my Christmas tree for composting?

You can drop off your Christmas tree at any one of our designated locations between December 27 and January 15.

Christmas Tree Recycling


What do I do if I have extra garbage?

At this time, we ask that you store your garbage until your next collection day. Alternatively, garbage can be taken to the Mission Flats or Barnhartvale landfills. 

What do I do if I have extra garbage?

At this time, we ask that you store your garbage until your next collection day. Alternatively, garbage can be taken to the Mission Flats or Barnhartvale landfills. 

What kind of garbage can I put in the cart?

All regular household garbage may be placed inside the carts. Anything that is placed inside the cart must be able to fall freely when dumped.

Search the Waste Wise Kamloops app to find out how to properly dispose of hundreds of products.

Clean cardboard and newsprint are prohibited in your garbage cart, and should be placed in your recycling cart. Grass clippings are also prohibited from either your garbage or recycling cart. Other items that should not be placed in the containers include:

  • Dirt
  • Concrete
  • Flammable, Toxic or Hazardous Materials
  • Paint
  • Sod
  • Bricks
  • Hot ashes or Charcoal
  • Needles
  • Rocks
  • Metal
  • Construction and materials
  • Solvents
  • Offal waste
  • Large amounts of pet waste

Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the current recycling options available to them to reduce the amount of garbage they need to place at the curb. 

Recycle BC Program  Landfill, Recycling, and Yard Waste Sites

What provisions will be made for garbage collection for disabled residents?

If you have difficulty moving the cart to your collection point, you may apply for City assistance. If you medically qualify, City crews will move your cart to the collection point and return it at the end of collection day. Application forms are available by calling 250-828-3461.