A roundabout is a type of one way, circular intersection that directs motorists to travel counter clockwise around a central island.
- slows traffic
- provides for continuous movement of traffic
- decreases traffic delays and congestion
- provides a safer intersection as the design allows no opportunity for right-angle or head-on collisions
- reduces braking, idling, engine noise, air pollution, and fuel consumption
- lower operation and maintenance costs compared to fully signalized intersection