As part of the Recycle BC Printed Paper and Packaging (PPP) recycling program, the City provides information about what plastic materials are accepted in the curbside recycling program and at local Recycle BC Depots.
To help explain how plastics can be recycle, Recycle BC provides the following information:
Most hard plastic packaging can be added to curbside recycling bins. Included are plastic take-out cups, bowls and lids; microwavable bowls and cups; plastic bottles, jugs, jars, tubs and trays; hard plastic clamshells for baked goods, fruit, eggs, etc.; plastic garden pots and seedling trays; and plastic pails less than 25 litres. Hard plastic packaging inside corrugated cardboard or boxboard is also accepted within curbside recycling. Learn more!
Flexible plastics can be recycled at Recycle BC locations. Flexible plastics include:
- plastic shopping bags
- plastic bags for bread, etc.;
- plastic overwrap on paper towel or flats of canned beverages
- plastic food storage, sandwich, and freezer bags
- plastic drop sheets or covering
- zipper lock pouches for frozen foods
- stand-up pouches for dried fruits and nuts, etc.
- crinkly plastic packaging for pasta, etc.
- potato chip bags
- plastic wrappers for candy, granola bars, etc.
- plastic net bags for fruit
- woven plastic bags for rice
- non-food protective packaging (e.g. plastic shipping envelopes).
Note: Plastic bags/flexible plastics are not accepted in curbside bins. Replacing single-use plastic bags with re-usable shopping bags is one of the easiest actions individuals can take to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in landfills.
Durable plastic products such as reusable water bottles, plastic storage containers, toys, housewares, furniture, and other durable plastic products are not accepted in curbside bins as part of the Recycle BC program. If these items are in good condition they can be donated to thrift or second hand stores. Search the item in our Waste Wise app to confirm how and where to recycle. If the item is broken, place it in your garbage bin.
Learn how and where to recycle plastics and other items by downloading the Waste Wise App.