For the months of April and October only, open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of 1 ac. (43,560 sq. ft.) or greater within Kamloops and Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc (TteS) is allowed with a permit. If you live on TteS land and require a permit, please contact the TteS office.
Under the 2012 Airshed Management Plan, the City is committed to ensuring that open burning is a last resort approach and is undertaken correctly to minimize contaminant emissions.
Before applying for a permit, please consider one of the following alternatives to burning:
- Compost, mulch, or reuse wood waste as much as possible on your own property.
- Drop off yard waste for free at City sites:
- Cinnamon Ridge (4.3 km west of the airport, 4045 Tranquille Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 24 in. diameter (anything larger must be split).
- Barnhartvale Landfill, Landfill Diversion Area, and Yard Waste Site (970 Eliza Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Bunker Road Recycling Depot and Yard Waste Site (1455 Bunker Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Divert wood waste. The Resource Recovery Centre (400 Owl Road) and the Mission Flats Landfill (3095 Mission Flats Road) accept wood waste with a disposal fee of $100 per tonne.
Click here for more information, including hours of operation. For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8:00 am.
Air Quality Health Index
The Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) uses a scale to show the health risk associated with different levels of air quality and provides guidance on managing exposure to outdoor air pollution. We recommend that burning not occur when the AQHI is at 7 or higher.
Burning Not Permitted.
Burning Permits & Costs
Minimum 1 acre required for all permits
|Type of Burning||Cost||Inspection||Burn Season||Application Open||How to Apply||Additional Restrictions|
|Cooking Fire||$50||Yes||Year-round||Year-round||Apply online.||3 fires per year|
|Farm||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||October 21 to March 31||Application closed.||Farm status|
|Hazard Abatement||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||October 21 to March 31||Application closed.|
|Development Land Clearing||$100/ac.||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||October 21 to March 31||Application closed.||Development|
|Yard/Garden Waste (Residential only, over 1 acre)||$100||No||April and October|
|Spring: March 21 - April 30|
Fall: September 21 - October 30