The City of Kamloops has established a Junior Council Committee to provide City Council with a youth perspective on a variety of topics. Student representatives from various Kamloops high schools in School District 73 signed their official Oath of Office at the Council’s inaugural meeting on January 22, 2018.
There are five clear mandates for the Committee:
- Provide an opportunity for the youth of Kamloops to acquire greater knowledge and appreciation for the local government system
- Act as a resource to Council on issues affecting Kamloops youth
- Provide council with the youth viewpoint on issues such as community safety, health, recreation, employment, and environment
- Encourage Kamloops youth’s understanding of municipal government
- Provide the opportunity for the community to become aware of the positive elements of its youth
The Junior Council had its first opportunity this week to provide feedback when city staff presented the Transportation Master Plan to the group. The group discussed transportation issues for students, asked questions of staff, and even put forward recommendations for City Council.
Each Junior Council member is an elected member of their high school’s student council. All Junior Council members must be full-time high school students in Kamloops in good standing, as determined by School District 73. The intention is to have a student representative from each Kamloops high school after elections are held this fall.
“Everything begins with education,” says Qi Kang Zuo, Chair of Junior Council. “Whether that is building the pathway to the future, encouraging discussion of the municipality, or inspiring change in the community, it all starts by making people more aware and more involved. What better place to start than from ourselves?”
Junior Council meets monthly in Council Chambers at City Hall.
2018 Junior Council Members:
- Qi Kang Zuo, Chair - South Kamloops Secondary
- Matthew Ciardullo - NorKam Senior Secondary
- Maggie Gu - Sa-Hali Secondary
- Graeme Koppes - South Kamloops Secondary
- Andrew Lewis - NorKam Secondary
- Rob McVittie - South Kamloops Secondary
- Kate Nanson - Sa-Hali Secondary