The City of Kamloops has worked with Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc (TteS) to incorporate messaging into this year’s virtual Canada Day event that encourages education on Indigenous culture and heritage. The in-person Canada Day event at Riverside Park, including the fireworks display, was cancelled by organizers earlier this spring due to COVID-19 public health restrictions.
The City of Kamloops acknowledges that recognizing Canada Day was difficult this year. We adjusted our programming to ensure the horrific discoveries of lost children at residential schools is at the forefront. We have also worked to include Indigenous history and culture throughout the event. We took our lead from Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc, who ask that we use Canada Day as a day for education and reflection on the true history of Canada. We respect that not everyone feels this way.
To replay the virtual event, please click on the video below.
Virtual Event Performances and Activities
To watch a specific portion of the program, please advance to the video to the time stamp indicated next to the area of interest.
- Opening remarks from Mayor Christian, Kukpi7 Casimir, and MP McLeod - 0:00:15
- Indigenous Drumming - 0:07:58
- Kamloops Symphony - 0:09:52
- Big Little Science Centre (see below for supplies needed if participating) - 00:16:42
- Uncle Chris the Clown - 00:27:09
- Project X - 00:49:23
- The Mole and the Crow - 00:54:43
- The Cure Culinary Provisions – DIY charcuterie board - 00:58:03
- City of Kamloops Sustainability - 01:11:22
- TRU Wolfpack Cheerleaders - 01:21:30
- Kamloops Multicultural Society/Kamloops Chinese Cultural Association - Canada Day Simultaneous Drumming - 01:27:02
- The Get Happy Team - 01:39:59
- David Cazares - 01:42:50
- Sim’ya Ukrainian Society Dancers - 01:34:04
- Kamloops Film Society - 01:51:41
- Secwepmec Commandments - 01:53:26
- Lorraine Korobanik Fitness and NeuroFit Technologies (see below for recommended equipment) - 01:54:39
- Garry Gottfriedson Poem Reading - 02:16:12
- Closing remarks from Mayor Christian and Kukpi7 Casimir - 02:20:44
N'we Jinan Artists with Sk'elep School of Excellence - 02:25:08
Big Little Science Centre Experiment Supplies
- Containers or glasses in different sizes/shapes
- Baking soda
Optional Yoga Class Equipment
- Yoga mat
- Yoga blocks or two books, if blocks aren’t available
- Cushion or towel - for those with grumpy knees