Within city limits, all dogs six months or older require a licence.
Dog Licence Fees (Effective January 1, 2015)
- $65 - Each un-neutered or un-spayed dog
- $30 - Each neutered or spayed dog
- $105 - Each kennel or hobby kennel
- $105 - Each nuisance and/or potentially dangerous dog
- $205 - Each dangerous dog
Dog Licence From Another Municipality
Out of town dog licences are invalid, but a replacement licence is available for any dog currently licensed in another municipality for a cost of $15.
Where to Purchase Dog Licences
Licences are available at retail outlets between January 1 and June 30. After June 30, they can be purchased at City Hall, Animal Control, or online (only for existing accounts).
- City Hall
- Animal Control Office
- All Kamloops Veterinarian Clinics
- Kamloops SPCA
- Most pet stores
If you were mailed a reminder to renew your dog licence, you have all the information you need about your account to renew your dog licence online.
Lost Dog Licences
A replacement licence may be purchased for a cost of $15 at the Animal Control Office.
Adoption Fee: $75 for any dog, plus cost of a City of Kamloops dog licence.
Two Dog Limit Variance
The City's Dog Responsibility and Control By-law requires that no one shall keep, harbour, or have more than two dogs over the age of six months within the City. If you have more than two dogs, you can apply to Council for a variance.
The applicant must pay a non-refundable $350 variance application fee.
If approved, the variance applies only to the specific dogs listed in the variance application and no dog in excess of the two dog limit may be replaced in the future.
Pet Owner Guidelines
The City of Kamloops allows up to two dogs over the age of six months and up to two cats per parcel of land; however, this does not apply to a kennel or a hobby kennel.
Dog Owner Responsibilities
- Licence and vaccinate your dog.
- Tattoo and put identification on your dog.
- Train your dog.
- Spay or neuter your dog.
- Muzzle aggressive dogs.
- Keep your dog on a leash and under control at all times (Except in off leash areas).
Stoop and Scoop
Clean up after your canine friend. Always have an extra plastic bag on hand for when nature calls. Bag dispensers are provided in several City parks. There is a $100 fine for failure to pick up after your dog. Keeping our City clean makes it more enjoyable for everyone.
Etiquette for Off-leash Dog Parks
- Owners are expected to have voice control over their dogs.
- The dogs should be fully capable of passive interaction with people and other dogs.
- Take off the leash only after you are inside the fenced park.
- Owners must carry a leash at all times.
- If your dog becomes unruly, or plays rough, leash it and leave immediately.
- Be cautious about bringing dog toys to the parks, it may cause an unwelcome confrontation with another dog.
- Do not bring unvaccinated dogs or dogs younger than four to six months to a dog park.
- Do not bring a dog that is in heat into parks.
- Be thoughtful when eating food around dogs.
- Cigarette butts can be an unhealthy attraction to dogs, please dispose of them properly.
The City of Kamloops provides a service to cremate deceased pets.
|Communal Cremation (no ashes)||$25||$45||$75||$115|
|Private Cremation (ashes returned)||$50||$80||$120||$160|
Residents and Veterinarians 20% Discount
* Before Taxes