Within city limits, all dogs six months or older require a licence.
Dog Licence Fees
- $65 - each un-neutered or un-spayed dog
- $30 - each neutered or spayed dog
- $105 - each kennel or hobby kennel
- $105 - each nuisance and/or potentially dangerous dog
- $205 - each dangerous dog
Where to Purchase Dog Licences
Licences are available at City Hall, Animal Control, or online (only for existing accounts). To register for your account, please fill out the Dog Licence Registration form. Once submitted, an Animal Control Clerk will contact you with your account information that will allow you to access and pay for your licence and all subsequent renewals through the MyCity portal.
If you were mailed a reminder to renew your dog licence, you have all of the information you need about your account to renew your dog licence online.
Lost Dog Licences
A replacement licence may be purchased for a cost of $15 at the Animal Control Office.
Dog Licences From Another Municipality
Out-of-town dog licences are not valid; however, a replacement licence is available for any dog currently licensed in another municipality at a cost of $15.
Adoption Fee: $75 for any dog, plus cost of a City of Kamloops dog licence.
Two Dog Limit Variance
The City's Dog Responsibility and Control Bylaw requires that no one shall keep, harbour, or have more than two dogs over the age of six months within the city. If you have more than two dogs, you can apply to Council for a variance.
The applicant must pay a non-refundable $350 variance application fee.
If approved, the variance applies only to the specific dogs listed in the variance application, and no dog in excess of the two dog limit may be replaced in the future.
Pet Owner Guidelines
The City of Kamloops allows up to two dogs over the age of six months and up to two cats per parcel of land; however, this does not apply to a kennel or a hobby kennel.
Dog Owner Responsibilities
- Licence and vaccinate your dog.
- Tattoo and put identification on your dog.
- Train your dog.
- Spay or neuter your dog.
- Muzzle aggressive dogs.
- Keep your dog on a leash and under control at all times (except in off leash areas).
Stoop and Scoop
Clean up after your canine friend. Always have an extra plastic bag on hand for when nature calls. Bag dispensers are provided in several City parks. There is a $100 fine for failure to pick up after your dog. Keeping our city clean makes it more enjoyable for everyone.
- Do not bring unvaccinated dogs or dogs younger than four to six months to a dog park.
- Do not bring a dog that is in heat into parks.
- Be thoughtful when eating food around dogs.
- Cigarette butts can be an unhealthy attraction to dogs. Please dispose of them properly.
The City of Kamloops provides a service to cremate deceased pets.
|Communal Cremation (no ashes)||$25||$45||$75||$115|
|Private Cremation (ashes returned)||$50||$80||$120||$160|
Residents and Veterinarians 20% Discount