The owner of a business is required to submit plans to all agencies for approvals where required and obtain a business licence prior to the business opening.
The following approvals may apply:
- Zoning - The intended premises must be in a zone which permits the type of business use. Check with Development and Engineering Services (250-828-3561).
- Parking - "On-site" parking spaces may be required. Check with Development and Engineering Services (250-828-3561).
- Building - A Building Permit is required for new buildings, alterations, or modifications from the Building Inspection Division (250-828-3554). Download an application for a Building Permit.
- Signs - A Sign Permit is required from Development and Engineering Services (250-828-3561) for altering an existing sign or for erecting a new sign. Download Application for Sign Permit.
- Fire - All commercial premises must pass inspections by Fire & Rescue Services (250-372-5131) and Building Inspection Division (250-828-3554) for your particular use prior to occupancy and issuance of your business licence.
- Vehicles - All commercial vehicles require a Municipal Commercial Vehicle decal annually (250-828-3481).
- Interior Health - The Interior Health Unit (250-851-7340) requires prior plan approval for all businesses handling food and/or liquor such as:
- Meat Markets
- Fish Markets
- Concession Stands/Mobile Concessions
- Mobile Catering Vehicles/Pushcarts
- Grocery Stores
- Lounges, Pubs, Bars
- Approvals are also required for:
- Beauty Salons/Barber Shops
- Commercial use of spas, hot tubs, whirlpools and swimming pools
- Health-related Services
- Adult Care and Child Day Care Facilities
Check with the Business Licence Division to determine your fee before submitting your application.