As a result of COVID-19, there are a few changes that are continuing to impact the Building Section. The Development, Engineering, and Sustainability (DES) building located at 105 Seymour Street reopened to the public on June 1, however it is by appointment only.
To help streamline the application process, people are asked to call ahead to discuss their Building Permit applications. This will help ensure that applications are complete when they are submitted. The public is asked to drop off their Building Permit applications into the dropbox located at the main entrance of the DES building at 105 Seymour Street. Please note that all material dropped off will be quarantined for 24 hours prior to staff opening and processing it.
When permits are ready for issuance, the applicant will be contacted and a time will be scheduled for them to come in to sign documents and pay fees. Please call 250-828-3554 for more information or to discuss an application.
Visit the City's COVID-19 page for City-related updates.
A Building Permit is required in order to:
- erect a new building or structure, including retaining walls over 1.2 m in height; swimming pool; and hot tubs
- to demolish, relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building or structure
A siting permit is required for sheds 10 m² or less.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- fences, sidewalks, and planters
- retaining walls that are less than 1.2 m in height
- painting, decorating, and general maintenance
- minor repairs, using the same or similar materials, for maintenance that does not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Applicable fees are listed in Building Bylaw No. 11-80 (Appendix A).