As a result of COVID-19, there are a few changes that impact the Building Section. In general, the building at 105 Seymour Street is closed to the public except by appointment. More specifically for the Building Section, people are asked to call ahead to discuss their Building Permit applications. This will help ensure that applications are complete when they are submitted. The public is asked to drop off their Building Permit applications into the dropbox located at the main entrance of City Hall (7 Victoria Street West) and they will be picked up daily. When permits are ready for issuance, the applicant will be contacted and a time will be scheduled for them to come in to sign documents and pay fees. Please call 250-828-3554 for more information or to discuss an application.
Visit the City's COVID-19 page for City-related updates.
A Building Permit is required in order to:
- erect a new building or structure, including retaining walls over 1.2 m in height; swimming pool; and hot tubs
- to demolish, relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building or structure
A siting permit is required for sheds 10 m² or less.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- fences, sidewalks, and planters
- retaining walls that are less than 1.2 m in height
- painting, decorating, and general maintenance
- minor repairs, using the same or similar materials, for maintenance that does not affect any electrical or mechanical work
Applicable fees are listed in Building Bylaw No. 11-80 (Appendix A).