If you find a needle and wish to dispose of it safely:
- Do not try to replace cap on needle.
- Pick up need with care using work gloves, tongs, or tweezers. Do not pick up by the point.
- Hold needle point away from you and place in a metal or thick plastic container with a cap.
- Replace cap securely on container.
- Dispose of the container by bringing it to an Interior Health or harm reduction service location.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
If you find a needle and do not wish to dispose of it yourself:
Please call one of the following agencies:
- In the downtown core, call the Downtown CAP team at 250-572-3009.
- In the north shore business district, call the North Shore CAP team at 250-318-7664. This service is currently only available during the summer.
- Areas outside of downtown or north shore business districts, phone or text the Overdose Prevention Team at 778-257-1292 or email ODP433@askwellness.ca.
If you are pricked by a needle:
- Wash the pricked area with soap and water right away.
- Go to your physician or emergency room for medical attention.
While being pricked by a needle can be frightening, it's important to know that the risk of contracting diseases such as tetanus, HIV, or Hepatitis B or C is low.