Kamloops Fire Rescue is looking for fit, motivated citizens who are committed to serving their community as paid on-call firefighters at one of three fire stations:
- Fire Station No. 4, 615 Porterfield Road, serving Westsyde
- Fire Station No. 5, Heffley Creek Road, serving Rayleigh and Heffley Creek
- Fire Station No. 6, 5300 Dallas Drive, serving Dallas and Barnhartvale
Interested applicants can visit Fire Station No. 1 at 1205 Summit Drive, Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:00 pm, to pick up a comprehensive manual that outlines the criteria and testing regimen required for selection as a paid on-call firefighter. Please respect the COVID-19 protocols that are in place when picking up a manual.
The deadline to apply is November 15, 2020.
Training is provided to successful applicants; however, preference will be given to those with prior National Fire Protection Association accreditation. The screening and application process will take approximately eight weeks, after which successful applicants will be contacted.
Kamloops Fire Rescue includes paid on-call firefighters, whose duties and responsibilities supplement the services provided by full-time firefighters. The requirements and job duties of paid on-call firefighters are different from that of a full-time firefighters, but they include:
A driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. A record with more than six points within the previous three years will eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- No conviction for a criminal offence related to the job duties of personnel in the fire service. Police Records Checks are conducted on all applicants being considered as a paid on-call firefighters.
- Members of the paid on-call firefighters must reside within the response district of the fire station they serve.
- All auxiliary crews meet once a week for two hour training sessions as required by Kamloops Fire Rescue. Paid on-call firefighters do receive financial compensation for training and emergency responses they attend.
Kamloops Fire Rescue is a composite fire department. Staffing comprises both career and paid on-call firefighters. Of the seven fire stations in Kamloops, three have paid on-call members. Each paid on-call station can have a maximum of 15 paid on-call (auxiliary) firefighters.
Fire Station No. 4 in Westsyde is the only composite fire station staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by two career members backed up by on call Paid on Call members. Fire Station No. 5 in Rayleigh/Heffley Creek, and Fire Station No. 6 in Barnhartvale, respectively have paid on-call members who are backed up by career fire stations in the City of Kamloops.
Paid on-call firefighters are not given preferential treatment in a full-time competition. Although paid on-call firefighting experience is certainly an asset to have, it is not a prerequisite to be considered in a full-time competition.
For further information on becoming a member of our paid on-call firefighting force, contact our Training Division at 250-571-2975 or Assistant Fire Chief, Dan Sutherland, at 25-571-2962.