For the month of April open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of one acre (43,560 sq ft) or greater within the City of Kamloops and Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed with a permit.
For the month of October open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of one acre (43,560 sq ft) or greater within the City of Kamloops and Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed with a permit.
Burning Permits & Costs Minimum 1 Acre Required
|Type of Burning||Cost||Inspection||Burn Season||Apply||Additional Restrictions|
|Cooking Fire||$50||Yes||Year-round||Click to apply||3 fires per year|
|Farm||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Farm status|
|Hazard Abatement||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply|
|Development Land Clearing||$100/acre||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Development|
|Yard/Garden Waste||$100||No||April & October|
Venting Index for April 30th - 50 -No Burning
- Burning is prohibited on properties less than 1 acre (43,560 sq feet)
- Permits are required for properties greater than 1 acre
- Permits must be in place prior to burning
- Burning is subject to Venting Index - check for daily update
- Permits are not issued when Fire Danger Rating is HIGH or EXTREME
For more information read: By-law 10-37
There are conditions that apply to these permits and failure to comply with these conditions or obtain the necessary permit may result in a $500 fine.
Conditions such as, but not limited to:
- No burning outside the Venting Index,
- No burning after dark,
- Burning for commercial or industrial purposes as well as on properties less than one acre is prohibited.
Permits for burning within the city must be picked-up at:
Fire Station No. 1
1205 Summit Drive
Burning permits will only be issued from Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm. Payment by cash or cheques are accepted; please bring the exact amount.
For residents with properties less than one acre, the following alternative disposal methods are recommended:
Compost as much material as possible on your own property, or take green waste to one of three City sites:
- Cinnamon Ridge (4.3 km west of airport, Tranquille Rd),
- Eliza Road in Barnhartvale,
- End of McGill Road.
For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8am.