For the months of April and October only, open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of 1 ac. (43,560 sq. ft.) or greater within Kamloops and Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed with a permit.
Alternatives to Burning
Under the 2012 Airshed Management Plan, the City is committed to ensuring that open burning is a last resort approach and is undertaken correctly to minimize contaminant emissions.
Before applying for a permit, please consider one of the following alternatives to burning:
- Compost, mulch, or reuse wood waste as much as possible on your own property.
- Drop off yard waste for free at City sites:
- Cinnamon Ridge (4.3 km west of the airport, Tranquille Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 24 in. diameter (anything larger must be split).
- Barnhartvale Landfill, Landfill Diversion Area, and Yard Waste Site (Eliza Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Bunker Road Recycling Depot and Yard Waste Site (1455 Bunker Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Divert wood waste. The Resource Recovery Centre (400 Owl Road) and the Mission Flats Landfill (3095 Mission Flats Road) accept wood waste with a disposal fee of $100 per tonne.
Click here for more information, including hours of operation. For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8:00 am.
Air Quality Health Index
Burning Permits & Costs
Minimum 1 ac. required
|Type of Burning||Cost||Inspection||Burn Season||Apply||Additional Restrictions|
|Cooking Fire||$50||Yes||Year-round||Click to apply||3 fires per year|
|Farm||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Farm status|
|Hazard Abatement||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply|
|Development Land Clearing||$100/ac.||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Development|
|Yard/Garden Waste||$100||No||April and October|
|Fire Station No. 1|
Venting Index for December 8, 2019 - is 14, no burning.
- Burning is prohibited on properties less than 1 ac. (43,560 sq. ft.)
- Permits are required for properties greater than 1 ac.
- Permits must be in place prior to burning.
- Burning is subject to Venting Index - check for daily update.
- Permits are not issued when Fire Danger Rating is HIGH or EXTREME.
For more information, read Bylaw No. 10-37
There are conditions that apply to these permits, and failure to comply with these conditions or obtain the necessary permit may result in a $500 fine.
Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- No burning outside the Venting Index
- No burning after dark
- No burning for commercial or industrial purposes or on properties less than 1 ac.
Permits for burning within Kamloops must be picked up at:
Fire Station No. 1
1205 Summit Drive
Burning permits will only be issued from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Payment by cash or cheques are accepted; please bring the exact amount.