The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy in collaboration with provincial public health partners has issued burning restrictions for all High Smoke Sensitivity Zones in British Columbia until Wednesday, June 15, 2020.
As a result, Kamloops Fire Rescue will no longer be issuing burning permits. KFR will contact anyone who has been provided a permit and issue refunds.
Visit our COVID-19 page for updates.
For the months of April and October only, open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of 1 ac. (43,560 sq. ft.) or greater within Kamloops and Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed with a permit.
Alternatives to Burning
Under the 2012 Airshed Management Plan, the City is committed to ensuring that open burning is a last resort approach and is undertaken correctly to minimize contaminant emissions.
Before applying for a permit, please consider one of the following alternatives to burning:
- Compost, mulch, or reuse wood waste as much as possible on your own property.
- Drop off yard waste for free at City sites:
- Cinnamon Ridge (4.3 km west of the airport, 4045 Tranquille Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 24 in. diameter (anything larger must be split).
- Barnhartvale Landfill, Landfill Diversion Area, and Yard Waste Site (970 Eliza Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Bunker Road Recycling Depot and Yard Waste Site (1455 Bunker Road) accepts yard waste, including tree prunings and tree trunks up to a maximum 6 in. diameter.
- Divert wood waste. The Resource Recovery Centre (400 Owl Road) and the Mission Flats Landfill (3095 Mission Flats Road) accept wood waste with a disposal fee of $100 per tonne.
Click here for more information, including hours of operation. For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8:00 am.
Air Quality Health Index
The Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) uses a scale to show the health risk associated with different levels of air quality and provides guidance on managing exposure to outdoor air pollution. We recommend that burning not occur when the AQHI is at 7 or higher.
- View the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) for Kamloops.
- Access the BC Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) to view values for communities throughout B.C..
- Download the AQHI Canada app to access air quality health information from your mobile device.
Burning Permits & Costs
Minimum 1 ac. required
|Type of Burning||Cost||Inspection||Burn Season||Apply||Additional Restrictions|
|Cooking Fire||$50||Yes||Year-round||Click to apply||3 fires per year|
|Farm||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Farm status|
|Hazard Abatement||None||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply|
|Development Land Clearing||$100/ac.||Yes||Nov-Mar 31||Click to apply||Development|
|Yard/Garden Waste||$100||No||April and October|
|Fire Station No. 1|
Venting Index for March 27, 2020 - No burning allowed within City of Kamloops until at least April 15 as per Ministry of Environment and Public Health Officials.
- Burning is prohibited on properties less than 1 ac. (43,560 sq. ft.)
- Permits are required for properties greater than 1 ac.
- Permits must be in place prior to burning.
- Burning is subject to Venting Index - check for daily update.
- Permits are not issued when Fire Danger Rating is HIGH or EXTREME.
For more information, read Bylaw No. 10-37
There are conditions that apply to these permits, and failure to comply with these conditions or obtain the necessary permit may result in a $500 fine.
Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- No burning outside the Venting Index
- No burning after dark
- No burning for commercial or industrial purposes or on properties less than 1 ac.
Permits for burning within Kamloops must be picked up at:
Fire Station No. 1
1205 Summit Drive
Burning permits will only be issued from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Payment by cash or cheques are accepted; please bring the exact amount.