The City of Kamloops allows up to two dogs over the age of six months and up to two cats per parcel of land; however, this does not apply to a kennel or a hobby kennel.
Two Dog Limit Variance
The City's Dog Responsibility and Control Bylaw requires that no one shall keep, harbour, or have more than two dogs over the age of six months within the city. If you have more than two dogs, you can apply to Council for a variance.
The applicant must pay a non-refundable $350 variance application fee.
If approved, the variance applies only to the specific dogs listed in the variance application, and no dog in excess of the two dog limit may be replaced in the future.
Dog Owner Responsibilities
- Licence and vaccinate your dog
- Tattoo and put identification on your dog
- Train your dog
- Spay or neuter your dog
- Muzzle aggressive dogs
- Keep your dog on a leash and under control at all times (except in off leash areas)
Stoop and Scoop
Clean up after your canine friend. Always have an extra plastic bag on hand for when nature calls. Bag dispensers are provided in several City parks. There is a $100 fine for failure to pick up after your dog. Keeping our city clean makes it more enjoyable for everyone.
- Do not bring unvaccinated dogs or dogs younger than four to six months to a dog park.
- Do not bring a dog that is in heat into parks.
- Be thoughtful when eating food around dogs.
- Cigarette butts can be an unhealthy attraction to dogs. Please dispose of them properly.