The first step to responsible dog ownership is licensing your dog. Licensing your dog is easy to do and identifies you as your pet’s owner, which provides peace of mind if they go missing. The Dog Responsibility and Control Bylaw No. 34-42 states that all dog owners who possess a dog(s) over the age of six months must license the dog(s) every year with the City. Information on how to apply for a new licence and to complete a dog licence renewal can be found below.
If you are licensing your dog for the first time, you will need to register for a MyCity account.
- Login to MyCity with your new account information, complete the form, and submit payment. Alternatively, you can visit Community Services (1303 Mission Flats Road) to register in-person for a new dog licence.
- You will receive your new licence tags in the mail. Tags are valid for the life of your dog. Replacement tags are available for $15 each. Annual licence fees apply.
Renewing an Existing Dog Licence
If you were mailed a reminder to renew your dog licence, you have all of the information you need about your account to renew your dog licence online.
- Login to MyCity with the account information on your renewal notice and submit payment. Alternatively, you can visit Community Services (1303 Mission Flats Road) or City Hall (7 Victoria Street West) to pay for your dog licence.
- Dog tags issued in 2020 are perpetual tags, they are valid for the life of your dog. You will receive your new licence tags in the mail only if the licence wasn’t purchased in 2020. Replacement tags are available for $15 each. You will no longer receive new tags each year. Annual licence fees still apply.
Payment for the current year is due by January 1, a late payment fee will be applied to overdue accounts. i.e.) 2021 Dog Licence renewal payment are due by January 1, 2021.
It's important to ensure that your dog licence account is up to date if you have moved or spayed/neutered your dog. If your animal has passed away, please contact Community Services directly at 250-828-3409 or email.
If you require a replacement tag, you can request a replacement by accessing your dog licence account or contacting Community Services, a $15 fee is required.
- Login to MyCity with your dog licence account information and make the necessary edits to your account. Your account number can be found on your annual renewal notice.
Alternatively, you can visit Community Services at 1303 Mission Flats Road.
Register for an e-Bill
In an effort to continue to reduce its impact on the environment, remain fiscally responsibly, and improve public service, the City has updated its system to allow for dog owners to register for an electronic renewal notice rather than a standard notice sent through Canada Post.
MyCity is an online portal for Kamloops residents that provides detailed account information for taxes, utilities, dog and business licence accounts; payment processing for dog and business licence accounts; e-billing, and access to current and past bills and account payment history.
Not on MyCity yet? Register for new accounts at Kamloops.ca/MyCity. Existing account users can login and update their e-billing option by selecting dog licensing as an e-bill option.
- $65.00 - each un-neutered or un-spayed dog
- $30.00 - each neutered or spayed dog
- $15.00 - replacement tag
- $32.50 - late payment penalty
- $105.00 - each kennel or hobby kennel
- $105.00 - each nuisance and/or potentially dangerous dog
- $205.00 - each aggressive dog
Dog Licences From Another Municipality
Out-of-town dog licences are not valid; however, a replacement licence is available for any dog currently licensed in another municipality at a cost of $15.