The KMA collects and displays the natural and cultural history of the Thompson-Nicola region. Our collection consists of First Nations material and culture; taxidermy; archives; and comprehensive fur trade, gold rush, railway, Victorian era, and World War 1 collections. Our collection is a resource for study, reference, and meaningful experience through public display and educative practice. The collection is stored at the KMA and in off-site locations. Our collection spans from large locomotives to small pins of Kami the Fish!
The archives have a photo collection of well over 10,000 images, the oldest of which dates from 1865. The archives houses fur trade journals from the 1840s, hand-drawn maps that track the development of roads and neighbourhoods, funeral records and property records, and over 100 years of local newspapers on microfilm. Reference materials include a newspaper index of surnames and subjects, nearly 800 local history articles, vertical files, and a local history library. The archives are open weekday afternoons for researchers and by appointment for school programs, guided tours and adult classes.
The KMA is committed to preserving and making accessible Kamloops archival and artifact heritage, and we welcome new acquisitions provided they meet the terms of our Acquisition Policy. Donations will become the property of the KMA upon completion of a Deed of Gift form.
Some questions we ask ourselves when considering your donation include:
- Do we have duplicates in our collection already?
- Is the material published (or widely available)?
- Does the donation pertain directly to the City of Kamloops or its citizens?
- What is the donation's significant historical or research value beyond a personal value to the donor?
- Can the donation be accommodated in our storage without compromising the preservation of other collection?
- What is the condition of the objects?
If you have any questions or would like to inquire about possibly donating to the KMA please contact the KMA at email@example.com or 250-828-3576.