Yesterday afternoon, the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), Dr. Bonnie Henry, announced new public health orders for the entire province. By order and direction of the PHO, all individuals, places of work, and businesses in BC must significantly reduce their level of social interactions and travel.
“The City has made some changes in response to the new health orders that are very important for the safety of the public and staff while making sure that both the business of the City and the ability for the public to participate in City projects and Council meetings continues,” said Mayor Ken Christian. “I urge everyone to follow the orders and limit their social interactions. We are in this together. It will take all of us.”
The new public health orders include several mandates that impact City operations, including the following:
- Mandatory masks in public indoor spaces
- No organized events or community-based gatherings
- No social gatherings of any size
- Limited group exercise classes
In response to the new public health orders, the City has initiated the following changes:
- Masks are now mandatory in all civic buildings in common and public spaces.
- The City is liaising with people who have rented our community halls to ensure the activities are compliant with public health orders.
- The North Shore Plan Design Charrette open houses, previously scheduled for Saturday at the Holiday Inn & Suites, have been cancelled and replaced with an online session on Saturday from 10:00–11:30 am. See LetsTalk.Kamloops.ca/NorthShorePlan for details.
- Public engagement on all City projects will be virtual until the new year.
- All Committee meetings, Committee of the Whole meetings, Council meetings, and Public Hearings will be restricted to in-person attendance by Council and staff only until further notice. Members of the public and the media can view and/or participate via Zoom
- The City has cancelled some high-intensity indoor fitness classes for the remainder of the fall session, including Strength Intervals, Cyclefit, HIIT, and TRX classes. Registered users have been contacted and provided account credits. Other classes may be modified to reduce the intensity.
The general message delivered by the PHO is that we are deep within the second wave of this pandemic, and we all need to increase the safety measures we have been practicing to break the COVID-19 transmission cycle. These orders are currently in effect until December 8; however, Dr. Henry has indicated that these will be revisited and might be extended.