Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Release date: 
December 14, 2017

Kamloops, BC – Each year, fires during the holiday season injure British Columbians and cause thousands of dollars in property damage. Kamloops Fire Rescue has some basic fire safety tips so British Columbians can enjoy a fire-safe holiday season:


  • A stovetop fire can start in a flash. Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking on the stove or in the microwave.
  • Keep all combustible items a safe distance away from the stove. This includes tea towels, wooden or plastic spoons, and paper towels.
  • Keep a pot lid near the stove to smother flames if a fire starts in a pot.


  • Pick a tree that has fresh, green needles and keep it moist by it watering daily.
  • Make sure your tree is at least 3 ft. away from fireplaces, heat vents, candles, or lighting fixtures.
  • Always replace strings of lights that are worn out, have broken cords, or have loose bulb connections.
  • Keep your real Christmas tree fresh by watering it often. Consider a fire-resistant artificial tree as an alternative.
  • Always turn your tree lights off before leaving home or going to sleep. Consider using approved timers to preset the on and off times.
  • Keep Christmas trees, wrapping, and decorations away from heat sources.
  • Only use lights that have been tested and labelled by an approved testing laboratory (CSA, ULC, etc.).


  • Use non-combustible containers for tea lights and candles. Battery-operated candles are an excellent alternative.
  • Place candles in a location where they can’t be knocked over or come in contact with combustible items, such as curtains.
  • Blow out all candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Decorate with flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.

It is recommended that you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level in your home and in each sleeping area.

Media Contact:
Lyle Weninger
Life Safety Educator
Kamloops Fire Rescue