On December 13, 2017 pursuant to Section 17(3)(c) of the Environmental Assessment Act, the Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy and the Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources decided not to issue an Environmental Assessment Certificate for the proposed Ajax Mine Project.
Visit the Environmental Assessment Office Document Library for all publicly available documents on the proposed KGHM Ajax Mine.
Technical Peer Review - Proposed Ajax Mine - Final Report
Prepared by SLR Consulting (Canada) Ltd.
KGHM Ajax Mining Inc. (the proponent) is proposing to develop the Ajax Mine Project (the proposed Project), a copper-gold mine located partially within the city of Kamloops, British Columbia (B.C.). The proposed Project has an expected mine life of 23 years with a production capacity of approximately 60,000 tonnes of mineral ore per day.
The proposed Project is subject to review under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and B.C.'s Environmental Assessment Act and is undergoing a cooperative environmental assessment process. Please visit the BC Ministry of Environment website for a project description for the proposed Ajax mine.
The Environmental Assessment Process for the proposed Ajax mine is currently underway. The project is currently in the "Application Information Requirements and Application Preparation" sections of the process.
On July 11, 2011, the City of Kamloops submitted a letter to the Environmental Assessment Office. The letter contained a number of questions related to the proposed project. The City has received a response letter from KGHM. In addition, the City has previously written and received a number of letters which are provided below.
- 2011 07 11 - Initial Letter of Inquiry
- 2012 03 26 - Letter to BC Environmental Assessment Office
- 2012 04 27 - Submission of Public Comments
- 2013 04 13 - KGHM Letter of Response to Mayor/Council
- 2013 05 21 - Golder Associates Comments Exclusion/Inclusion of Air-blast
- 2013 05 31 - Letter to KGHM Request for Vibration Information
- 2013 07 03 - KGHM Response for Vibration Request
- 2013 09 06 - Golder Associates Opinion - Relevance of Air-blast
- 2014 12 22 - Letter to Environmental Assessment Office - Review of Draft Application Information Requirements/Environmental Impact Statement Guidelines
- 2017 10 10 - Letter to BC Environmental Assessment Office and Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency during the Public Comment Period
- 2017 10 10 - Council's Letter to Ministers Regarding Proposed Ajax Mine Project
June 22, 2017 Special Council Meeting
9:00 am-12:00 pm
City Hall - Council Chambers
City Council will have the opportunity to ask questions of SLR Consulting Ltd. regarding their review and final report. Please note, although this meeting is open to the public, there is limited seating in Council Chambers. There will be no opportunity for questions from the public at this meeting. Please attend the Town Hall Meeting on June 19, 2017 if you wish to ask questions (questions only, no comments).
July 17, 2017 Regular Council Meeting
City Hall - Council Chambers
City Council will vote on their official response to the BC Environmental Assessment Office regarding the proposed KGHM Ajax mine.
March 23, 2016 Special Council Meeting
Council sought clarification of SLR Consulting Ltd.'s preliminary review of the KGHM Ajax Mining Ltd. and sent a letter to the BC Environmental Assessment Office and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency summarizing a number of concerns.
KGHM-Ajax Public Comment Period
The public comment period regarding the Environmental Assessment for the KGHM Ajax mine ends April 11, 2016 (11:59 pm). Public should provide comments to the Environmental Assessment Office:
Mail: Environmental Assessment Office
PO Box 9426 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9V1
Comments submitted to the EAO are shared with CEAA and considered in both federal and provincial Environmental Assessments.
March 18, 2016 Public Meeting
A public meeting was held at Thompson Rivers University Grand Hall. The following resources were presented: