Thinking ahead can make a difference!
The City of Kamloops is committed to helping residents and businesses reduce unnecessary waste and make more sustainable choices. Our Bring Your Own Initiative encourages Kamloopsians to take action and reduce waste by using reusable drinking containers and bags. Taking the B.Y.O. pledge can save you money while ensuring a healthier environment for your family and your neighbours!
Be an eco hero by using reusable bags: they look great, don't rip, and you can carry lots of stuff. Tip: keep a box of them near your front door so you don't forget to bring one to the store. It's surprisingly convenient and easy to do!
• Did you know that a single-use bag is typically only used for about 12 minutes?
• Did you know that floating plastic shopping bags can be mistaken to be jellyfish by marine animals who consume them?
• Plastic bags are among the top 12 most collected items of litter in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup.
All that java in those one-use, to-go cups can create a lot of waste and are so 2010. A reusable mug looks better, works better, and saves money. Keep your beverage hot in a stylish reusable mug and look cool doing it!
• Many coffee shops will discount your beverage for using your own mug.
• A good-quality reusable mug can keep your bevvy hot or cool for hours.
Keeping hydrated is so important! Why not kick the habit of using one-time use plastic bottles and get yourself a stylish reusable water bottle. Bring it on the go and fill it up at the gym, school, work, or your local coffee shop!
• Did you know that Kamloops tap water is "top shelf" thanks to our state-of-the-art water treatment centre?
• 1,000 litres of tap water costs less than $1 in Kamloops; 1 litre of bottle water can cost more than $2 in a store.
• Plastic beverage bottles placed as the top 3 most collected litter item in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup.
Who has taken the B.Y.O. pledge?
Map data is updated each night.