2023 Pride Events
The City of Kamloops and the 2SLGBTQPIA+ Community
The City of Kamloops is excited to have an official delegation marching for the first time in the 2023 Kamloops Pride Parade this August. We are striving to walk-the-talk not only in the parade but every day, in all the programs and services we offer.
The City recently completed a process to have City facilities certified as safe locations under the BC RCMP Safe Places Pilot Program in Kamloops. The program seeks to help 2SLGBTQPIA+ community members easily identify and access inclusive places where they can find refuge and support if and when they face bullying or harassment. Certification involved specialized education and training for over 130 frontline City staff and management.
Other steps the City has taken to be more inclusive includes:
- Sharing pronouns when we introduce ourselves
- Providing pronoun pins to staff
- Adding the ability to add pronouns to staff profiles on MS Teams
- Staff training session with Kamloops Pride about their Normalize It resource
- Hosting the 2023 Pride Week Open House with Kamloops Pride & Kamloops RCMP
- Walking in the Pride Parade with around 100 people
- Having a booth at the Pride Week Festival
- Providing training to staff in advance of the October Pride Swims
- Hosting two Pride Swims in October 2023