The City of Kamloops is committed to helping residents and businesses reduce unnecessary waste and make more sustainable choices. Our Bring Your Own Initiative encourages Kamloopsians to take action. Take the pledge!
Give Less Garbage
The holiday season can generate an extraordinary amount of garbage for our landfills. Follow some of these tips to reduce waste:
- Give culture: Memberships for Kamloops Museum and Archives, Western Canada Theatre, Kamloops Symphony, or local art galleries bring joy throughout the year!
- Give wellness: Activity punch cards, swim or skate passes, or recreation facility memberships combine fun and fitness!
- Give time: Set some dates and go explore! Pick a few outdoor (or indoor!) spots you've always wanted to visit, and give invitations to your friends and family to explore those spots with you!
- Give local: Visit craft fairs, the Farmers' Market, and local stores to find handcrafted items for your nearest and dearest!
- Give skills: The Winter Activity Guide has great gift ideas that will give your loved ones a chance to learn new skills!
- Give again: Refurbish old furniture, polish some silverware, or find gently used toys and books that will bring joy for years to come!
- Take stock of what you already have! Fabric, old maps, calendars, magazines, and newspapers work just as well as new wrapping paper.
- Choose materials that will last. Jars, paper bags, boxes, and gift bags can be used over and over again!
- Get creative! Turn wrapping into a creative activity for the kids. Potatoes make great natural stamps.