The City is facilitating a community enhancement partnership in the form of an Adopt-A-Road/Trail program. The Adopt-A-Road/Trail program provides private organizations, clubs, and citizens the opportunity to assist the City in keeping Kamloops beautiful by volunteering their labour to pick up litter and debris along street frontages and park trails. This involvement helps the City provide a higher level of service.
Volunteers agree to look after their adopted section of road, either in all or part, the minimum length being 1 km of roadway or one trail within a City nature park.
Each volunteer organization must:
- Pick up litter along the road(s) right(s)-of-way or trail at least three (3) times per year for a minimum of two (2) years. The minimum three pickups may be undertaken at any time of year (e.g. April, July, and October).
- Designate a contact person who will:
- ensure that all participants are responsible individuals and that participating minors under the age of 19 are provided with adult supervision
- discuss safety precautions with project participants, such as being aware of traffic and dangers around open water and to avoid contact with items that may be hazardous or cause injury (e.g. heavy objects, syringes, dead animals, etc.)
- advise the City’s Program Coordinator of such hazardous items for removal
- request that participants sign in for each cleanup
- ensure that all borrowed equipment and unused supplies are returned to the Civic Operations Department at 955 Concordia Way immediately following the completion of each cleanup
- Advise the Civic Operations Department of any illegal dumping sites.
- Ensure the safety of volunteers and the public.
- Advise the Civic Operations Department of a change of contact person or contact information.
- Provide a minimum of 24 hours’ notice to the City prior to your group’s cleanup day.
- Notify the City of the location/number of bags for pickup at 250-828-3461 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pick up supplies between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, at 955 Concordia Way.
The City of Kamloops will:
- Administer the Adopt-A-Road/Trail program.
- Provide bags for volunteers.
- Supply safety vests upon request (volunteer groups will be required to pay for any vests not returned, at a cost of $15 per vest).
- Pick up full bags upon notification by volunteer group.
- Provide third-party liability insurance coverage for volunteers who qualify, as a volunteer, under the Liability Protection Agreement that the City has with the Municipal Association of BC.
- Install and maintain an Adopt-A-Road/Trail sign that displays the name of the organization volunteering in this area after the second year.
- Notify the contact person for each volunteer organization, in writing, of any changes to the program.
NOTICE OF COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is collected by the City under the Community Charter, the Local Government Act, and/or the City’s bylaws and is only used for purposes necessary and consistent with operation of the City’s programs and/or activities. If you have any questions about collection or use of personal information by the City, please contact the Corporate Officer, City of Kamloops, 7 Victoria Street West, Kamloops, BC, V2C 1A2, 250-828-3311.