Zoning Variance

A property owner wishing to vary a regulation for siting, height, lot coverage, etc. will need to obtain a variance. There are two procedures to allow such variances:

Development Variance

A major variance, or one which is not the result of hardship, must be submitted to Council for consideration through the Development Variance Permit (DVP) process. 
Note: A Development Variance Permit cannot vary the use or density of land from that specified in a zoning by-law or floodplain specification. 

Board of Variance

A minor variance that is considered to be the result of hardship is normally the responsibility of the Board of Variance. The Board is a quasi-judicial body independent of Council that meets once a month, provided there are a minimum of three (3) applications.
Note: There are limitations on orders that a Board of Variance can authorize. Please contact Development staff to discuss the particulars of your situation.