Appearing Before Kamloops City Council as a Delegation
Council meetings are held most Tuesdays. Please refer to the Council calendar for meeting dates.
The purpose of appearing before Council as a delegation is to present on your topic or initiative for information only. Requests for funding, letters of support, or proclamations are not permitted.
Depending on your topic, your request may be referred to a relevant Council Committee, or City department.
- There is a limit to the number of delegations permitted per meeting; therefore, the City advises that delegations book well in advance of the desired date. Your presentation may not be heard on the date requested due to prior commitments or staff resources.
- Delegations are heard at either 1:30 pm or 3:00 pm at Regular Council Meetings. The time will be determined by Legislative Services and you will be contacted a few days prior to the meeting to confirm the start time of your delegation.
- Your delegation is not confirmed until you are contacted by City staff to confirm your place on the agenda.
- In order to schedule a date to appear before Council, delegations must provide the information requested on the delegation request (see below). Your name and address will be published in the agenda and minutes which are available to the public and on the City's website. The provision of this information clarifies the purpose of the delegation for Council and allows Council members to become familiar with your topic and obtain any necessary background information.
- If the delegation's material is not published in the agenda, please bring sufficient copies for Council (minimum 17 copies). The City charges for photocopying services.
- Delegations are permitted 10 minutes maximum for their presentation. This is monitored by an electronic timer at the speaker's podium. Council may ask questions after the presentation for clarification.
- If you will be providing supporting documentation, such as a PowerPoint presentation, you are required to submit the documents no later than 4:00 pm on the Wednesday prior to the meeting. PowerPoint presentations are limited to a maximum of 10 slides.
- Delegations with regard to any aspect of an Official Community Plan or a rezoning application are prohibited between the conclusion of the Public Hearing and the adoption of the bylaw.
- All communication and petitions intended to be presented to Council shall be legibly written, typed or printed; signed by at least one person; dated; and include a contact phone number or address before being accepted.
Helpful Suggestions for an Effective Presentation
- Arrive 15 minutes in advance of the meeting start date. The Legislative Assistant will meet with you briefly to discuss any questions you may have and instruct you prior to the start of the meeting.
- Speak clearly and directly into the microphone provided at the podium.
- Direct your presentation to Kamloops City Council and follow council etiquette tips.
- Be concise; keep your presentation brief and to the point.
- Participate with integrity. A collaborative and respectful approach is appreciated.
- Do not expect an immediate answer. Your issue may be referred to staff for more information or to another meeting for further consideration.