The City of Kamloops is part of the Recycle BC Printed Paper and Packaging (PPP) recycling program. This program outlines what materials are accepted in the curbside recycling program. For details, check out the Recycling Guide and Drop Off Location Chart, or download the Waste Wise Kamloops App. You can also use the Waste Wise Wizard from you computer any time to learn how and where to recycle items. To learn more about how Recycle BC manages recycled materials, click: What Happens to My Recycling?
The City accepts some plastics in curbside recycling, while other plastic materials material must be returned to a *Recycle BC Depot. Find out more about recycling plastic. In 2019, Recycle BC introduced its Other Flexible Packaging Program, which provides opportunities to recycle a wider variety of plastic materials. Learn more about differences between "plastic bags and overwrap" and "other flexible plastic packaging" here.
*In September 2019, CBC Marketplace aired a story exposing challenges related to plastics recycling in British Columbia. The following link to Recycle BC provides a response from the organization about this media coverage and further information about its processes for recycling. https://recyclebc.ca/response-marketplace/
When residents make unused textile donations, they are supporting our community in a variety of ways. Donations help:
- keep waste from our landfills
- support local charities that use unwanted textiles as a way to raise funds
- make it easy for residents to declutter in ways that are environmentally friendly
Learn more about textile recycling opportunities in Kamloops.
You can help ensure that more materials are recycled by following these steps:
- Keep your recycling loose. Place materials loose in cart or bin.
- Flatten and cut boxes to fit inside cart or bin (staples and tape are accepted).
- Place shredded paper in a securely tied, clear plastic bag.
- Empty and rinse containers, and recycle all caps and lids.
- Put metal lids inside cans and squeeze slightly.
- Ensure the seal and coffee grounds are removed before recycling single-use coffee pods. Foil seals can be recycled. Plastic-lined-foil seals cannot be recycled.
- Return deposit beverage containers for a refund.
- Remove leftover food, plastic liners, and wrap from flats.
Don't forget, you can use the Waste Wise Kamloops app any time to find out what can be recycled and where in Kamloops.
Free Landfill Items
Did you know that there are variety of items you can recycle for free any time at the Mission Flats Landfill? These include:
Other Accepted Items*