Residential recycling and garbage is collected on a weekly basis in five designated collection zones. To ensure garbage and recycling is collected, residents are reminded that under the City’s Solid Waste and Recyclables Bylaw No.40-59, garbage and recycling carts are to be placed at the curb by 7:00 am on designated collection days and to observe Bear Smart guidelines when applicable.
Click to sign up for collection day reminders with the Waste Wise Kamloops app. You can also view the 2019 Collection Zone Map by clicking the button below.
How to Place Your Carts
Materials Not Accepted in Residential Garbage
Your garbage may not be collected if any of the following items are found in your cart:
- Grass clippings
- Recyclables (including cardboard and newspaper)
- Dirt, sod, and rocks
- Used oil and filters
- Construction and demolition materials
- Offal waste
- Hot ashes and charcoal
- Flammable, toxic, hazardous, explosive, volatile, or corrosive material
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Medical waste
- Propane tanks
- Scrap metal and tires
- Large amounts of pet waste
- Unbagged dust
Any surplus waste must be in garbage bags no larger than 26" x 36". Surplus bags will only be collected if they have a $2 orange sticker, which are available for purchase at:
- City Hall - 7 Victoria Street West
- Hasty Market - 1105 8th Street
- Safeway (Sahali) - 945 Columbia Street West
- Safeway (North Shore) - 750 Fortune Drive
Missed a Pickup?
Here are some reasons why your bins were not emptied:
- Carts were not out by 7:00 am on collection day.
- Carts were placed too close to obstacles such as parked cars, fences, trees, overgrown vegetation, or other carts.
- Carts were overfull and the lid was not fully closed. Is your container the right size?
- Carts contained unaccepted items. Not sure what goes where? Use our Waste Wise app.