Residential recycling and garbage is collected on a weekly in five designated collection zones. To ensure garbage and recycling is collected, residents are reminded that under the City’s Solid Waste and Recyclables Bylaw No.40-59, garbage and recycling carts are to be placed at the curb by 7:00 am on designated collection days, and to observe Bear Smart guidelines when applicable.
How to Place Your Carts
- Containers are to be placed at curbside by 7:00 AM on collection day when at least half full.
- Container lids must be completely closed for pickup.
- Do not overfill containers or compress items. Cut down large cardboard pieces.
- Containers must be kept clean.
- Secure all containers on private property on non-collection days.
- During Bear Smart Season (Apr. 1 - Nov. 30), do not set containers out before 4:00 am and do not accumulate bear attractants (Bylaw no. 40-59).
- Please set your containers out in a location that provides safe access for collectors. During winter, place containers in an area free of ice and snow so that collection is possible.
Materials Not Accepted in Residential Garbage
Your garbage may not be collected if any of the following items are found in your cart:
- Grass Clippings
- Recyclables (including Cardboard and Newspaper)
- Dirt, Sod, and Rocks
- Used Oil and Filters
- Construction and Demolition Materials
- Offal Waste
- Hot Ashes and Charcoal
- Flammable, Toxic, Hazardous, Explosive, Volatile, or Corrosive Material
- Pesticides and Herbicides
- Medical Waste
- Propane Tanks
- Scrap Metal and Tires
- Large Amounts of Pet Waste
- Unbagged Dust
Learn how to properly dispose of these items with our Waste Wise app.
Any surplus waste must be in garbage bags no larger than 26" x 36". Surplus bags will only be collected if they have a $2 orange sticker, available for purchase at:
- City Hall - 7 Victoria Street West
- Hasty Market - 1105 8th Street
- Safeway (Sahali) - 945 West Columbia Street
- Safeway (North Shore) - 750 Fortune Drive