Residential Collection Schedule
There are five designated solid waste collection zones in Kamloops. View the zone boundaries map here.
Garbage and recycling are collected every other week on an alternating basis, and organics is collected weekly*. This is a common model in communities with organics collection. Did you know 42% of residential garbage is organic waste that can be composted? Learn more about the residential organic waste collection program.
*Between March 1 and November 30, organics will be collected weekly.
*Between December 1 to February 28/29, organics will be collected biweekly, on garbage collection days.
Residents are reminded that under the City’s Solid Waste and Recyclables Bylaw No.40-67, carts are to be placed at the curb by 7:00 am on designated collection days (and no earlier than 4:00 am between April 1 and November 30) and removed from the curb by 7:00 pm. Please observe Bear Smart guidelines when applicable.
Solid Waste Collection Schedules
New for 2023 - Dual-Pass Collection
Have you noticed more than one collection truck going past your house lately? Or maybe it appeared one of your bins didn’t get collected? It’s not a mistake! Read more about the new collection system.
How to Place Your Carts
- During the winter, place containers in an area free of ice and on the road side of snow piles and windrows. View our video below!
- Containers are to be placed at curbside by 7:00 am on collection day when they are at least half full.
- Container lids must be completely closed for pickup. Do not overfill containers or compress items. Cut down large cardboard pieces.
- Containers must be kept clean.
- Secure all containers on private property on non-collection days.
- During Bear Smart Season (Apr. 1–Nov. 30), do not set containers out before 4:00 am and do not accumulate bear attractants (Bylaw No. 40-67).
- For damaged and missing containers or for more information, please call 250-828-3461.
Missed a Pickup?
Here are some reasons why your bins were not emptied:
- Carts were not out by 7:00 am on collection day.
- Carts were placed too close to obstacles such as parked cars, fences, trees, overgrown vegetation, or other carts.
- Carts were overfull and the lid was not fully closed.
- Carts contained unaccepted items. Not sure what goes where? Use our Waste Wise app.