Municipal Election

Election Information

Who is Qualified to Run?

You do not have to be a resident of or own property in the City of Kamloops to run for Council or the School Board, however, you must meet the following criteria (Section 66 of the Local Government Act or Section 32 of the School Act):

  • Canadian citizen (landed immigrants who are not yet Canadian citizens are not qualified);
  • Will be 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day;
  • Resident of B.C. for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
  • Not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in B.C. or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office.

Information for Electoral Organizations

Electoral organizations are formed to promote a candidate, slate of candidates or a point of view in a local election by endorsing candidates on the ballot and advertising for or in conjunction with candidates. Generally elector organizations promote a slate of candidates or otherwise undertake election campaigns to elect candidates.

An incorporated or unincorporated organization may endorse a candidate in an election and have that endorsement included on the ballot if, before the end of the nomination period the required endorsement documents have been provided to the Chief Election Officer (or designate).

To be qualified to endorse a candidate, an elector organization must have, at the time the required solemn declaration is made, a membership of at least 50 electors of the City of Kamloops.