October 14, 2016
Hillside Drainage Improvement Project
Kamloops, B.C. – In July 2014, the City of Kamloops experienced a significant storm event, which resulted in damage to portions of the drainage system for Hillside Drive between Summit Drive and McGill Road. The City employed Urban Systems Ltd. to assess the current condition and provide a design for restoration and improvements to the drainage network in the area. The contract for this project has been awarded to Dawson Construction Limited, and will begin Thursday, October 20, 2016, and continue until approximately the end of November 2016, with work to resume in the spring.
The project will consist of the following:
- Construction of a storm drainage pipe network approximately between Hillside Drive and Summit Drive;
- Construction of headwalls to collect surface drainage;
- Construction of a detention pond within the hairpin of Summit Drive;
- Extension of the existing storm network in the area to the new detention pond; and
- Construction of a controlled outlet structure from the detention pond.
The hairpin corner at the intersection of Summit Drive, Victoria Street West, and Hudson’s Ridge will be impacted from approximately October 26 to November 15, 2016. Traffic will be reduced to single lane each direction during construction. Delays are expected, so motorists are advised to plan ahead or take alternate routes.
Staff members at the Public Works and Utilities Department are available to answer questions at 250-828-3461. For updated traffic information, please visit www.kamloops.ca/kammute.
- 30 -
Rachel Driedger, Capital Projects Supervisor
City of Kamloops