September 23, 2015
Permits required for yard and garden waste burning
Kamloops, B.C. – Beginning September 26th, 2015 through to November 1st , 2015, open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of one acre (43,560 square feet) or greater within the City of Kamloops and Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed upon obtaining a permit.
However, there are conditions that apply to these permits and failure to comply with these conditions or obtain the necessary permit may result in a $500 fine. These conditions include, but are not limited to:
- No burning outside the Venting Index;
- No burning after dark; and
- Burning for commercial, or industrial, as well as on properties less than one acre is prohibited.
Permits for burning within the city must be picked-up at:
Fire Station No. 1
1205 Summit Drive
Please note that the price for a burning permit is $100.00.
Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8 am – 4 pm excluding holidays. Permits will only be issued during regular business hours. A fee of $100 will be charged for the permit and cash or cheques are accepted. Please bring the exact amount.
Permits for burning within the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc must be picked up starting September 25th, 2015 at:
Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc
#220 – 330 Chief Alex Thomas Way
The City of Kamloops encourages all property owners to seek alternative disposal methods prior to burning such as:
- Compost as much material as possible on your own property; or
- Take green waste to one of the City’s three drop-off sites: Cinnamon Ridge (4.3 km west of the airport on Tranquille Road), Eliza Road in Barnhartvale, or at the end of McGill Road. Visit www.kamloops.ca/garbage/yardwastesites.shtml.
For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131 or visit www.kamloops.ca/firerescue. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8 am.
Beginning October 20th, 2015, permits for Land Clearing, Hazard Abatement and Farm Status will be issued for November 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2016. Permits are available at Fire Station #1 at 1205 Summit Drive.
Chief Fire Prevention Officer
Kamloops Fire Rescue