March 19, 2014
Permits required for yard and garden waste burning
Kamloops, B.C. - Beginning April 1st, 2014 through to April 30th, 2014, open burning of yard and garden waste on properties of one acre (43,560 square feet) or greater within the City of Kamloops and Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc is allowed upon obtaining a permit.
However, there are conditions that apply to these permits and failure to comply with these conditions or obtain the necessary permit may result in a $500 fine. Conditions such as, but not limited to:
- No burning outside the Venting Index;
- No burning after dark; and
- Burning for commercial, or industrial, as well as on properties less than one acre is prohibited.
Permits for burning within the city must be picked-up at:
Fire Station No. 1
1205 Summit Drive
Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm excluding holidays. A fee of $100.00 will be charged for the permit and cash or cheques are accepted. Please bring the exact amount. Please note that there has been a price change for burning permits from $50.00 to $100.00.
Permits for burning within the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc must be picked up starting April 2nd, 2014 at:
Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc
#345-345 Chief Alex Thomas Way
For residents with properties less than one acre, the following alternative disposal methods are recommended:
- Compost as much material as possible on your own property; or
- Take green waste to one of the City’s three drop-off sites: Cinnamon Ridge, Eliza Road in Barnhartvale, or at the end of McGill Road. Further information is available at www.kamloops.ca/garbage/yardwastesites.shtml
For additional permit or Venting Index information, please call 250-372-5131 or visit www.kamloops.ca/firerescue. Please note that Venting Index information is updated daily after 8:00 am.
Sheldon Guertin, Captain
City of Kamloops