September 26, 2012
Kamloops, B.C. - On Saturday, September 29th, at 2:00 pm, the City of Kamloops and the Westsyde Community Development Society will recognize the many visionaries who helped found Westsyde Centennial Park with the unveiling of a commemorative plaque. The naming of the Sports Complex in the park will also honour Ralph Clearwaters as a founding member of the Park.
Centennial Park, one of only two parks in Westsyde, was so named to commemorate the Province of British Columbia's 100th Anniversary in 1958. The park was started as a centennial project and is a story of land acquisition, Annual May Day Parades, other events and intercessions between notable people of the day including Dan Campbell, Minister of Municipal Affairs, and Phil Gaglardi. The park of 26 acres was officially transferred to the City of Kamloops in 1973 from the Westsyde Community Development Corporation.
It was through groups like the Volunteer Fire Board, the Westsyde Ratepayers Association, the Westsyde Centennial Park Association and other like-minded community groups whose dedication, interest and involvement have contributed to this historical recognition. This activism continues to be carried on today through participation, involvement and support by residents who live in the Westsyde community.
- 30 -
Ben Chobater, Community Development Coordinator
City of Kamloops