February 7, 2011
February is Heart Month
Kamloops, B.C. - February is Heart Month. Did you know that every 7 minutes someone in Canada dies from heart disease or stroke, and 16,000 Canadians die
each year as a result of a heart attack? Heart disease and stroke cost the Canadian economy more than $22 billion every year. The Heart and Stroke Foundation
strives to reduce these numbers through extensive research and its application, as well as through the promotion of healthy living.
In support of Heart Month, there are a number of activities going on throughout February:
- Skate Your Heart Out on February 12th, with a special Valentine's Day Skate at Brock Arena from 2:15pm-4:00pm. The cost is $2 and all proceeds will go toward
the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- During the week of February 14th to 27th all TCC spin classes will compete for prizes for the most distance traveled. The participants from the winning class
will be put into a draw for a Personal Training and Nutrition Package.
- Shawn Wenger will hold a Nordic Pole Walking Class on Wednesday, February 23rd from 11:00am-12:00pm at the Tournament Capital Centre. The cost is $2 with
all proceeds going toward the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Please register for course number 170932.
- On Thursday, February 24th, from 6:30pm-8:00pm, Rhonda Eden will host a Heart Healthy Nutrition Session at the Tournament Capital Centre. Admission is $5
and all proceeds will go toward the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Nature's Fare and the City of Kamloops will be donating door prizes. Please register quoting
course number 170785.
- On February 25th wear red to work or school in support of the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- On February 25th from 11:00am - 3:00pm, drop-in fees for the Canada Games pool will be only $2, with the proceeds going to the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
For more information or to register call 250-828-3500.
- 30 -
Alex De Chantal, Health and Wellness Coordinator
City of Kamloops