For the next 6 link headings, use the JAWS curser when over each link and this will provide access to a list of links under each one. To access the individual links use the right mouse button on the number pad

Development & Engineering Services » Zoning and Property Information

Board of Variance

The City's Zoning By-law establishes rules and regulations regarding size of properties, lot coverage, principal and accessory building areas and heights, and location of development on individual lots. A property owner wishing to vary a regulation for siting, height, lot coverage, etc. will need to obtain a variance.

There are two procedures to allow such variances:

Notice 1. Development Variance
A major variance, or one which is not the result of hardship, must be submitted to Council for consideration through the Development Variance Permit (DVP) process.
Note: A Development Variance Permit cannot vary the use or density of land from that specified in a zoning by-law or floodplain specification.
Development Variance Application Form
Development Variance Application Guide
Site Profile Guide
Site Profile Form (Schedules 1 & 2)
MOE Site Profile: Administrative Guidance on Contaminated Sites

Notice 2. Board of Variance
A minor variance that is considered to be the result of hardship is normally the responsibility of the Board of Variance. The Board is a quasi-judicial body independent of Council that meets once a month, provided there are a minimum of three (3) applications.
Note: There are limitations on orders that a Board of Variance can authorize. Please contact Development staff to discuss the particulars of your situation.
Board of Variance Application Form
Board of Variance Application Guide

Planning and Development
105 Seymour Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2C6
ph 250-828-3561
fax 250-828-3848

Note: All correspondence is entered into our system and will be directed accordingly. The City of Kamloops will endeavor to contact you within two business days. Thank you.