Pet Owner Guidelines
The City of Kamloops allows up to two dogs over the age of six months and up to two
cats per parcel of land; however, this does not apply to a kennel or a hobby kennel.
Dog owner responsibilities
- Licence and vaccinate your dog.
- Tattoo and put identification on your dog.
- Train your dog.
- Spay or neuter your dog.
- Muzzle aggressive dogs.
- Keep your dog on a leash and under control at all times (Except in off leash areas).
Stoop and scoop
Clean up after your canine friend. Always have an extra plastic bag on hand for when
nature calls. Bag dispensers are provided in several City parks. There is a $100 fine
for failure to pick up after your dog. Keeping our City clean makes it more enjoyable
Etiquette for off leash dog parks
- Owners are expected to have voice control over their dogs.
- The dogs should be fully capable of passive interaction with people and other dogs.
- Take off the leash only after you are inside the fenced park.
- Owners must carry a leash at all times.
- If your dog becomes unruly, or plays rough, leash it and leave immediately.
- Be cautious about bringing dog toys to the parks, it may cause an unwelcome
confrontation with another dog.
- Do not bring unvaccinated dogs or dogs younger than four to six months to a dog park.
- Do not bring a dog that is in heat into parks.
- Be thoughtful when eating food around dogs.
- Cigarette butts can be an unhealthy attraction to dogs, please dispose of them properly.