2 Rivers, 2 Peoples, 200 Years
2012 commemorates Kamloops' 200th year of shared living with the Tk'emlúps, and 200 years of community achievement and growth. The theme for 2012 is "2 Rivers, 2 Peoples, 200 Years"
The North and South Thompson rivers have always defined the identity and shaped the boundaries of Kamloops. Even the name of our city reflects our unique location at the junction of the two rivers: in the Secwepemc language, Kamloops means "meeting of the waters".
In 1812, fur trader and explorer David Stuart built a trading post on the shore of the Thompson River. In 2012, the City of Kamloops is commemorating two hundred years of shared history between the Secwepemc people and all those who came after David Stuart.
Several events are planned throughout the year:
- January Commemorative Annual Calendar
- January Commemorative Logo Competition
- March-August Local history articles and photo series
- March-April South Kamloops Secondary School Fine Arts students' 2012 commemorative art project exhibition
- March 10 Kamloops Symphony Orchestra ~ Celebration 200
- March 19-23 Bicentennial theme activities at the Canada Games Pool
- March 19-23 Bicentennial theme Spring Break Camp at the Museum
- March-November Museum exhibits and monthly lecture series
- April 27 Planting 200 maple trees throughout the city
- May 10-11 Heritage Fair with bicentennial theme
- May 25 Cenotaph ceremony for MCpl. Erin Doyle; first name added to Kamloops Cenotaph in over 65 years, see video.
- July-August Historical street actors
- July-August Heritage walking tour series
- August 25 Bicentennial Festivities at Riverside Park
- mid-August Canoe rendezvous with Council and Tk'emlúps Council
- October 17-20 BC Museums Association province wide conference
- November Children's History of Kamloops book
- November 24 Santa Claus parade with bicentennial theme
Kamloops Museum & Archives
207 Seymour Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2E7
Note: All correspondence is entered into our system and will be directed accordingly. The City of Kamloops will endeavor to contact you within two business days. Thank you.